Image Map

Monday, July 13, 2015

Flipped Reading Block Book Study-Chapters 1 and 2

I am so grateful for the opportunity to collaborate with such awesome teachers for this book study.  




Head on over to their blogs to read their ideas of how flipping can make a difference in their kindergarten classroom.In my classroom, flipped learning has primarily taken the form of home-to-school projects.  For these projects, parents and students were responsible for finding information about a topic.  After a specified period of time, students brought their projects back in and presented the results to their classmates.  This is an example of a country project where students researched the country of China and put their information in the form of a poster.
The posters that were returned were amazing and students were able to articulate what they learned in the research process. 
Throughout the years, I’ve encountered parents who desperately want to help their child at home, but may not know where to start.  Flipped lessons in the form of videos can prove especially helpful for these parents. They can watch the video as many times as they need to help them understand strategies to use with their child.  Even as a teacher, I was unfamiliar with certain math strategies that my son needed to know.  However, after watching a video I was able to help my son with the specific method that he was taught by his teacher.
I want to implement blending learning using technology, however I know that access to the internet will hinder some parents from participating.  I plan on using a technology survey at the beginning of the year to  determine how many of my students could participate.

One of the ways to get around limited access may be for parents to use a flash drive and send it back and forth to school. Teachers could load it with the flipped lessons and parents could access it without any type of internet connection.
You could also give parents a list of local places that have free wifi.  In my area, McDonalds, Publix and the library provide free internet access.
Also if parents have a smartphone, you could send the video via Seesaw or email, that way parents would only need a data plan to see the video. Here is the link to an article from ISTE about other methods of overcoming technology issues.  



As a kindergarten teacher, I would like to do a lesson for parents teaching them how to help their child with reading at home. In my classroom, we use the Beanie Baby strategies and I think a video explaining them would be beneficial for parents. 



1 comment:

  1. Me too! Love the Beanie Baby strategies, and have this on my to-do list! Great job!

    ReplyDelete